Friday 11 November 2016

Values Vs Money

Recently, my son, Peter and I participated in a Snow Globe competition organised by Fengshan Community Club. We are so excited about it that we searched on YouTube about how others were doing it, cracked our brains on how to make a unique Snow Globe. Then we decided to go to Daiso and Spotlight to get our materials to make the Snow Globe.

It was a weekend afternoon and was very crowded in Daiso as such Peter accidentally stepped on a hair band which was misplaced on the floor and broke it. He was afraid that he will be scolded by me and the shopkeeper. I did asked him to be more careful and I told him not to be afraid to approach the storekeeper to ask if we need to pay for it the broken piece. The shopkeeper said we need to pay for it as such I handed the money to the shopkeeper and she placed the broken hair band into a plastic bag for us. I was sad because I need to pay for something which is not what I want for. However, I felt responsible to teach my son a lesson to be honest by owning up what he had done wrong and be responsible to pay for what he had done wrong.
One of the broken pieces, I glued back the stand legs
Then we shop a little longer for some more materials and again he accidentally broke a clay Christmas decoration while handling it. Once again I told him that he need to be more careful when handling the items in the store and forbids him to touch any of the items. After that, I took the broken item together with the things that I wanted, to the cashier for payment.

Thought, it was not easy to pay for the things that I do not want but I felt values are more important than money as such teaching him to be responsible for the things that he did was much more important then the money spend. Overall money well spent and hopefully he will remember the values of being honest and responsible for the rest of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment